Congregationalists in Congleton trace their origins back to those dissenters who were forced out of the Established Church between 1660 and 1662. Before that time many shades of religious opinion had been permitted inside the Church of England, but with the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660 came measures demanding the acceptance of the Thirty-Nine Articles, the government of the Church by a hierarchy of bishops and the use of the Prayer Book and vestments. About two thousand Puritan clergymen could not find it in their conscience to subscribe to these measures and as a result were ejected from their livings in 1662.
Amongst those ejected were the Revd Thomas Brook, minister of Congleton, and the Revd George Moxon, minister of Astbury, both of whom were forced to leave their livings in 1662. In spite of this they both continued to preach in private houses until 1672, when the laws against non-conformists were relaxed and ministers were able to take out licenses to preach. Mr Moxon then moved to Congleton to a house by Dane Bridge where he preached for many years. By 1687 he had a large enough congregation to build a small meeting house.
In 1877 the Antrobus Street Church, where we still worship today, was opened. The building was described in glowing terms in a contemporary edition of the Congleton and Macclesfield Mercury as ‘ a fine edifice in the geometric Gothic style’. The paper also commented on the generous provision of lecture rooms and school rooms beneath the church for the service of the church and the community and this tradition of service and involvement with our surrounding community is one which we are delighted to be continuing with today.